Rescuing Street Kids from the Streets of Urlabari
An underdeveloped nation, Nepal has given rise to the number of street kids mainly due to the lack of awareness and support from family and community members. The Twin Otters Foundation has done everything possible to generate funds and start helping street kids located at Urlabari in the Morang district of Eastern Nepal. The Foundation has the legal permission from the Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare to rescue children from the region currently and put them into rehabilitation centers before giving them formal education and grooming.
The Foundation has successfully rescued three kids from the region, namely, Prabin, Arvind and Raju, and is now giving these kids formal education from its kids’ home in Faika, Kapan. The Foundation will rescue more children before October 2016 in order to reach out to all street kids of Urlabari.
The Volunteer Program
Volunteering in a home for rescued street children is a great way to really experience the culture of a country, whilst making a contribution and gaining an unforgettable experience. However, this may be challenging at times.
Volunteers may contribute in any way at the home. Some examples are as follows:
- Help with the administration and operations of the home
- Teach English in the kids’ home
- Train kids and staff in all sorts of skills
- Share knowledge with workers in the kids’ home
- Train individuals for emergency and natural calamities
- Organize safety drills for earthquakes, fire, floods, etc.
- Organize field trips with the children
- Coordinate with local teachers in the kids’ home
- Participate in various activities within the kids’ home
- Short trips to other places
- Cultural exchange with the locals
- Training kids for various sports and games
- Teach and play games with the kids
Depending on the needs of the children, volunteers can get involved in any of following activities:
- Teaching English (1-2 hours a day) to children.
- Organizing games, drawing, singing, dancing, and other creative education and extracurricular activities.
- Taking kids to playgrounds, swimming, movies, etc.
- Helping kids to do homework, monitor academic progress, and make sure kids complete their homework.
- Sanitation (helping kids in brushing teeth, shower, and personal hygiene).
- Child care services for kids who cannot go to school.
- Help kids to dress up and reach school safely.
- Help with administration, running errands etc.
- Help in other activities or programs designed for kids.
Program Fees Include:
- Transportation from Airport to the kids’ home
- Accommodation and four meals during volunteering period (Nepali food)
- Language and cultural information classes once a week
- Sightseeing in the Kathmandu Valley – 3 World Heritage Sites
Does not include:
- Personal Insurance
- Flights (Domestic and International)
- Laundry service
- Drinks and Bar Bills
- Visa fees
- Entry fees
For details on this program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at +977-9818932330. You can also contact the Program Director at rajshaaqya on Skype.